Writing these articles for DJ Times, I receive messages and emails from DJs all over the world asking for more ideas and advice on what they can do to enhance their businesses and marketing strategies.
My first question is always, “What marketing strategies or tactics are you currently doing?”
Many DJs have replied with an answer that shows that they could be doing more, but many just don’t even know where to begin.
Marketing is a powerful force in how successful your business becomes. You have to think about the process of continuously satisfying your target customer’s needs, wants and expectations.
Many successful companies have recognized the importance of their customer base and have sophisticated approaches and detailed processes from which to develop a slam dunk marketing strategy that launches their business as the leader in their area.
The goal of marketing is to connect your business’ value to the right customer base. It’s a simple concept but it can take on a million different paths.
• What demographics make up your customer base?
• Where do they live?
• Where do they hang out online or what websites do they look at pertaining to what you do?
• How do they look for products or services in your niche?
• Who do they listen to or are persuaded by when making decisions relative to your business?
The answers to these questions determine which marketing strategies will be viable and which will be a waste of time. Let’s continue with 5 simple and easy low-budget ideas to help, if you are stuck on where to begin.
1. Create Great Content – One of the most important things anyone can do, especially now during all of the downtime that is happening in the world. And don’t worry, even if writing isn’t your strong point, do it anyway. Try top 10 lists, tip collections, best practices for your industry, etc. You can create a blog, develop informative pages on your website, or have an incredible social media channel that people will enjoy reading.
2. Create Fun Videos – Video content is extremely valuable. Almost 5 BILLION videos are watched on Youtube every day with over 30 million visitors every 24 hours. And the average viewing session lasts over 40 minutes. This can be key to really getting your business out there or relatively easy to do as you can create a video about anything. Unboxing new gear, quick tips, instructional videos, gig logs, service highlights, etc. The sky is the limit on what you can do and you don’t need super fancy equipment to do so. Your phone, a GoPro, any DSLR camera, a webcam, and so on is more than sufficient.
3. Be a Versatile Social Networker Create business accounts and participate in the big social media sites – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest. Research what hot trends are emerging and where people are spending time. Gen Z and Millennials are your newest customers, so find out what platforms they’re using and take advantage. 5 of the newest ones that are gaining a lot of users that you should be on and watching in 2020 are Tik Tok, Caffeine.tv, Lasso, Houseparty and Vero.
4. Create Fun Compelling Infographics – Infographics are insanely powerful marketing tools. They’re visual eye candy, they’re easy to digest, and people love to share them. They’re a great way to drive up traffic to your social media and website. Plus, they show you as a knowledgeable source in your industry since they are data driven.
5. Create Industry Partnerships – Team up with a business related to your industry for a joint project. This can be done pretty easily through a special event, or even online with a webinar, zoom meeting, or live video. Partnering with another business means twice as much notice. If you’re partnering with an industry-relevant business, you’re getting introduced to a whole new audience related to your niche.
Small businesses do have it tough. They face more challenges than large companies that have a surplus of resources. But with the right marketing strategy, you get a chance to at least be on the same level as those larger businesses, and you can even steal market share away from your competitors.
As a budget constrained small business, marketing your products and services effectively doesn’t have to be demanding to your time and wallet — but taking that first step shouldn’t cause anxiety or fear. An effective marketing strategy can help your business get the attention it deserves. If you’re persistent with your marketing efforts you’ll become the successful business you have always hoped for it to be.
Joshua Volpe is owner of Kalifornia Entertainment in Rochester, NY.
DJ Times Magazine is copyright © 2020 by DJ Publishing, Inc. www.djtimes.com